With such nice weather here in London I’ve been craving light, fresh salads for dinner more so than cooked meals. The sweetness of the apples and raisins in this salad make it even more summery and delicious! Although it may not appear to be a filling meal, there’s about half an avocado in there which makes it quite satisfying, along with the walnuts. I used green apples to make it a little tart, but if you prefer to keep it sweet I recommend using red and possibly exchanging the celery for cucumber. If you’re wondering where the protein is, other than the nuts of course, a vegan take on a “chicken” Waldorf salad could be grilled tofu, but I wanted to keep this meal completely raw.
1/2 an avocado
3 handfuls lettuce
1 granny smith apple
handful of raw walnuts
tbsp Thompson raisins
1 stock of celery, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Scoop the avocado half from its skin and mash it in a small bowl. Add to it the lemon juice.
- Chop lettuce and throw in a large salad bowl.
- Mix avocado through the lettuce- it will be chunky but that’s okay.
- Add chopped green apple (leave a few as slices for garnish!) and celery.
- Throw walnuts and raisins on top.
- Garnish with some apple slices.
Voila! Enjoy in your back yard barefoot on the garden swing. Next to a pool works too.